Friday, September 28, 2007

It's been a while.

I don't really know why I've waited so long to post. Yes, I have been busy, but really no more busy than usual. I have been shy about posting at work, and have had less time away from work to do it. Quite a lot has been going on with me. I will fill you in.

1. I heard about my city school district hiring a bunch of new art teachers, only requiring a BFA degree instead of the usual education degree. And best of all, they will pay for your certification.
2. I first though of W. She really is an amazing teacher, been doing it forever, just not in the public schools. hmmm. I said, health insurance, retirement, benefits.... she should do it.
3. I suggested, she agreed. She is now the official art teacher for a fine elementary school near our home.
4 Then, I though of myself. As you may know, I have been trying to decide what to do with my career. I thought of going back to school for a social work degree or going to nursing school.
  • I knew I wanted a career with more flexible hours to be with my kids more (working 8-5:30 sucks when you have kids.).
  • I knew I wanted to have a job where I did not feel as though I was moving a corporation to make more money, yet doing nothing to help people.
  • I hate the corporate thing. stupid people. stupid meetings. doing stupid things.
  • I knew I needed to make more money as I make very little now, barely enough to live from.

5. I looked into it. I asked about 10 million people what they thought. This may be a little exaggeration here, but not much. That is how I make decisions, I ask everyone I know, and even some people I don't know. what they think.
6. I went to the school in question: very far away. very bad neighborhood. but: very nice principal. very nice kids for the 20 minutes that I was there.
7. I thought about the pros and cons:

PROS
  • more money.
  • more time off.
  • summers off with my kids.
  • Christmas break with my kids.
  • Spring break with my kids.
  • Off at 3:30 every day.
  • working with children who otherwise have never had an art curriculum.
  • children who are sweet and may not get any positive people in their lives.
  • kids who really need to be creative.

CONS
  • it's yet another change for me. I have had three jobs in one year, moved, become the primary provider after being a stay home mom. , discovered I'm gay, and lost a lot of friends.
  • It is far away in a neighborhood I'm not familiar with.
  • I do not know if I'll be good at it
  • I will probably suck at it the first year

I have decided to move to this new career and see where it takes me. I am afraid of another change, but I really am capable of embracing change and this one seems to be a fairly safe one. (I hope)

So, as you can see, I have been deep in decision making thought for the last 2-3 weeks. I am thrilled that W is taking the new job. She will be home by 2:30 and still pick up the boys every day. She needed the benefits as my 401K was not going to cut it for us later. And... most of all, she will be a brilliant teacher and impact a lot of kids this way, she has a boundless energy and love with children. I hope that I can be only half as good as she already is. I will get her to teach me. I will learn from the other teachers too. We are both starting new jobs at the same time.

I will hate to leave the company I'm with. They've been very good to me. but I do believe I will always wonder if I don't take this opportunity.

Wish me luck on this new and slightly scary change. I will be ok.

L

2 comments:

SassyFemme said...

Good luck with it! It's really one of the most rewarding things you'll ever do.

However, don't count on getting out at 3:30 every day. Very few teachers leave at the end of the work day every day. We almost always have committee meetings, faculty meetings, lessons plans to write, and papers/projects to correct.

KellyNerd said...

This opportunity sounds perfect. Good luck. I just know you wont need luck though ... it is going to work out perfectly for you!