Thursday, July 26, 2007

A reason to be thankful and kiss my babies, (as if I needed a reason)

Well folks, I have to tell you about a worrisome development that happened on Tuesday. My youngest son was with his dad. He woke up in the morning and couldn’t walk straight. His legs were all wobbly and he kept falling. After deciding that he was not faking it, my XH called and said he was taking him to the doctor. He had asked a neighbor to look and she agreed. This worried me. Now XH was/is I suppose about the most alarmist person I’ve ever known. He will make a big deal out of nothing. He took the older one for a catscan once after he was hit with a baseball. It was a black eye. No weird eye crossing thing, no dizziness, nothing. He rushed him to the ER and paid for a catscan and nearly scared the kid to death.

Anyway, I digress. After the neighbor said he should take him, I worried. Of course I met him down there and the doctor examined him. They asked if he’d had a virus in the last couple of weeks. I said no. So they did send him for the catscan, thank goodness. I was starting to panic. His balance was off, that could mean a brain tumor. Those of you who know me, know that recently my friends little boy had a headache one day. She took him and withing 2 hours found out he had a huge tumor in his brain and they did surgery within 48 hours. It was indeed cancer, and it was a rare aggressive tumor that no one knows how to treat. It is usually found in adults, and they rarely make it. The prognosis is not good for him. I had all that swirling in my mind and I just felt sick. I can’t imagine what people go through who have their kids get really sick. The doctor was very worried too. Luckily, the scan came back normal. They diagnosed him with cerebral atoxia. It is a condition where, after certain viruses, the antibodies get into the middle ear and cause vertigo. It can last for a couple of weeks to months before it goes away. Leave it to us to have a strange illness that the doctor has only seen once so far this year. My little one is very sick and dizzy. But other than that, he is fine. They ran bloodwork etc and I bugged them about anything else it could be. I hope he’ll be feeling better soon. But I tell you, it makes you thankful. I love him so much. I love them both, but he’s my youngest and there is a special baby place in my heart for him. He will always be my baby. He still has that really soft cuddly baby quality to him. I wish I could kiss those cheeks right now.
W is watching him for me while I come to my dead end job. I guess it’s still a paycheck though.

Now stop reading this and go kiss your babies, human or 4 legged ones.

Later,
L

2 comments:

SassyFemme said...

That is so bizarre. Thank goodness it wasn't anything more serious. Hope he's better VERY soon.

L said...

He is better already, bizarre, but short lived thank goodness.
thanks for commenting.
L