Sunday, January 20, 2008

Dr King and faith

Well, I just couldn't resist, RSG was becoming a student, I had too also. Not really, I had been working on it for a while, ever since I took the teaching job. But it is official, I have been accepted into graduate school for art! I have always dreamed of taking more art classes now that I am a more appreciative mature grown up. When I was in school, they were just nuisance's, art classes that is. I am so excited about taking art again and learning about teaching it. W and I are enrolled in a great art school that is just around the corner from house. It is small and in the middle of a historic city park and beautiful. We will now be able to take part in all of their shows as well. Class starts this Tuesday night. Then in May, we have to take a class that lasts for only 3 weeks, but meets every night from 5:30 til 9. That will be interesting. All of these requirements put on us to keep our jobs are very tough, but all along the way, there have been gifts that have been given, like having a man at our church agree to update W's disability testing status so she can have an un-timed test. I do believe that these are blessings from God because we took a leap of faith in doing this.

We just went to church this morning and every time I go it ends up being a blessing. My pastor did a sermon today about Dr. King and how, he would not have been the same man if it had not been for his faith, and the work he did might not have happened. That struck a cord with me. When he was preaching and leading the civil rights movement, many "Christians" were misguided and thought the things he was saying were against the teaching of God and the bible. That belief was largely based on fear. Likewise, today we have many people who are Christians who are so afraid of loving gay couples changing what they falsely believe to be the "right way to live."

My faith has always been a strong part of who I was. For some time, organized religion was not, but I now believe that if we listen to what is in our hearts, and strive to do no harm, that this IS God's spirit working in us. I was then able to embrace my faith and religion and hopefully be the change I want to see in organized religion. There are so many people out there who are devout and sensitive Christians being told their lifestyle is not compatible with God's teachings.
This needs to change and it is changing. Even the mainstream religions are starting to question this as more and more evidence is pointing to the fact that being gay is really genetic, and also that some of the passages previously thought to be anti-homosexual in the bible are really anti- casual promiscuity.

Anyway, I am not a scholar in this subject and will stop before I go too far, but I do know what is in my heart and that I feel closer to my God now than I ever have. I spent many hours in prayer when all of my changes were taking place. I begged for a sign if it was not what was supposed to happen.

Not too long ago in my Sunday school class, we talked about how Christians should stop trying to figure out the details of what is right and wrong, and just love everyone the way Christ did. After that, trust that the holy spirit will work in people's lives. We are not here to judge, we are here to show God's love, the spirit will take care of the rest.

PS: I apologize for my overly spiritual tone if you do not agree. But this is a blog about my feelings and this is what I am moved to write today.

3 comments:

SassyFemme said...

Congratulations on being accepted to school!!!

I agree with you 100% about listening to what is in our hearts and striving to do no wrong. I liked the tone of your blog today. :)

Kathryn said...

Don't apologize about what you write about, it's your blog, write what you like!

Congrats on getting into your school program, I'm sure you'll do great.

Anonymous said...

I hopped to your blog from the RSG's blog.

I'm an art teacher in a high school in Australia, and I wish you good luck with your studies!